Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Quote:
I can highly recommend Blizzard Survival Bags

I guess a Blizzard Survival Bag has its place for cold weather injuries above 10C otherwise I just don't believe the marketing hype. The Tog rating (uncompressed material) is around 6-8 Tog, this is a summer bag rating. For hypothermia victims, where thermo regulation has become erratic, in a just above freezing environment (0-5C) then even a substantial 1.2-1.5kg High spec Down bag (10-12 Tog) might not cut it, to provide enough thermal insulation to negate the bodies continuing heat loss. Also it should be pointed out that wet clothing may have been removed requiring an even more effective cold weather bag.

The companies marketing is suspect, with many dubious claims IMHO.

Quote:
If you only plan to make day trips it is impractical to carry a tent, the best compromise is a Bothy bag.

For days trips I also like to take along a Thermorest Lite Seat as well to stop the backside from freezing whilst sitting in snow or on wet cold ground. Bothy bags are very useful allowing groups to sit together and prepare warm drinks and food in their own warm and cosy micro environment once the Gas stove has been lit in the centre whilst the rain, snow and wind blows about outside.

Survival equipment is a compromise. If I had some one with hypothermia I would want the equipment and training to carry out extracorporeal circulatory rewarming, including peritoneal lavage, bladder irrigation and cardiopulmonary bypass; but this is totally impractical and well beyond my skill level. I have to make a compromise to try and stabilise the casualty until he can be evacuated to a facility that have this equipment.

Blizzard Survival bags are a compromise, with both advantages and disadvantages. It is a compromise of size, weight, ease of use and effectiveness. They are by far the best survival bag on the market out performing any other survival bag. Their size and weight allow a person to carry more than one.

The fact that so many organisation; who have independently tested them for their needs. Suggest your comments are way off the mark.

When you’re on a side of an exposed mountain with a temperature just above freezing and buffeted by 60 mph winds and driving rain. Exactly the conditions the Blizzard Survival bag was designed for. And there is no shelter available; there is an argument that you don’t remove wet clothing from the casualty. Because, by removing the warm wet clothing you are removing some valuable warmth from the casualty. By placing a person in wet clothing into a survival bag and place them into a sleeping bag if you have one is thought to be safer than removing the casualty’s clothes.

There are many people that follow this view but as many that don’t agree and until some scientific testing is done it will be an argument that will go on and on.

I am pleased with your comments on Bothy Bags they are an excellent piece of kit and I highly recommend them.

I also agree with your comments about some form of insulation to sit on or lie on, this is true for the Blizzard Survival bag too. You definitely need insulation from the ground.