One problem with hypothermia is it affects your dexterity. This can be used to your advantage by giving you a good way to check if you are starting to show signs of hypothermia.

It is quite simple and easy to remember. Touch your thumb to the tip of your little finger and ring finger. If you can’t do this it is time to stop, find shelter, get fluids, simple and complex carbs in side yourself and get warm.

If you can’t do this simple test then you are going to start to struggle to do simple things like light fires and turn on cookers. Once you have lost the manual dexterity you are on a slow downward slid. You need to avoid this at all costs.

Disposable heat pads are great providing you have the dexterity to remove them from their packaging, use your teeth. They activate automatically once exposed to air. Shove them under your wrists, armpits, around your neck and in your groin. These are areas were they can heat the blood going back to your heart with the minimum of insulation from body fat. They provide heat for between 10 and 12 hours depending on which product you buy. I would highly recommend them.

I can highly recommend Blizzard Survival Bags, if you don’t intend to carry a sleeping bag. I know many people on this forum do not like them but that is because they have very little experience of them. The fact that most mountain rescue teams, search and rescue teams, military search assets in the UK and Europe uses them suggests they are good bits of kit. I have personally spent many nights out in all weathers in a Blizzard Bag and have never been overly uncomfortable; in fact I am surprised how warm they are.

If you only plan to make day trips it is impractical to carry a tent, the best compromise is a Bothy bag. These work best if used as a group shelter but combined with a blizzard bag or something similar they are very effective at protecting you from the elements. These have not found favour in the states until relatively recently. US climbers who climb world wide with European climbers discovered how versatile and effective they are. Understandably these climbers took them back to the States and they are slowly becoming more accepted by the rest of the outdoor community.

Bothy bags have been attributed to countless lives saved across Europe. An excellent bit of kit which I never leave at home.