Originally Posted By: dweste
Okay, now I am going to assemble a hypothermia kit, including some instructions on when and how to deploy it aimed at me as I slip into hypothermia and at a relatively uneducated helper [no big words, etcetera].

1) Avoid further cooling (get out of the water, get dry clothes, wrap in a vapor barrier (plastic, bivy bag, whatever). I think all those tricks are pretty well covered. Myself, I'd like to advocate bringing a bivy bag. Change clothes, stuff in the bivy bag, then proceed.

2) Bring a thermos of your prefered hot bewerage. I'd suggest you stay away from coffee for this purpose. Tea is very good, but basically any hot liquid will do. Including plain hot water.

Those two steps can usually be achieved within 2 minutes (although sometimes not, as you experienced yourself - BRRRR!). Making a fire - which includes gathering fire wood - requires time, manpower and some skills. Much better to IMMEDIATELY excercize point 1) and 2) and go from there.

What you do next will depend on the situation. I'd say the first options to consider would be making a fire, self-extraction and getting outside assistance. And you can do at least 2 of those 3 simultaneosly.