Originally Posted By: Mark_Frantom
While it is fun and informative to speculate on what may or may not survive the 40 years and what could be made or improvised with the available tech, it appears we are moving WAY off topic. Shame on us laugh

This is very much on the topic. Part of the reason I was looking for a role play game like this is to learn. I expect to make some mistakes along the way and learn from them.

Originally Posted By: Mark_Frantom
So to get us BOT, I have some questions. Is the game master making the rules, or at least the final call, on what may or may not survive the ravages of time? Also you mention that the other people playing the game are actually building things based on older plans and technology. Is this part of the rules of the game also? I mean, if it can't be built it can't be utilized? Or is this just part of the preparations these people are doing for the game, or during the game, or for their own amusement? Also a more general question. Is it unthinkable that if one computer broke down it wouldn't be cannibalized for parts to keep other computers in the community operational? Personally I would still prefer to have a lot of info either in manuals or from training tho. FWIW and YMMV.

The game master is allowing some liberties. However, I told him I want things as realistic as possible for my player-character Jeanette. After all, what would be the point of this exercise if my player-character is granted too many liberties. Given what is being built, a relay switch computer and a replica of a 1904 Rolls-Royce, the means to build them in a lab or a machine shop do exist so yeas, they are allowed. By the time the story starts, these two machines are in the process of being built. Anything that can be done to put together a computer from old parts is being done. Computers are valuable in this setting so salvaging any electronic device or computer so that another computer may work is justified.

Jeanette Isabelle