Originally Posted By: Russ
Speaking of landfills, where do all the old computers we have go? Recycled computers and old radios would have lots of circuit boards, transistors, power supplies, fans et al . . . or were all those smoked in the "event"?

Even if a computer was new out of the box in 2012, it would be thirty-eight-years-old in 2050. Even in a best case scenario, disk drives stop functioning. Flash drives have an even shorter life span (unless technology has improved) than mechanical hard drives.

Originally Posted By: Russ
If electronics can be salvaged, that multi-tool may be a very useful thing to have . . . maybe not for you, but your computer and automobile building compadre' may find it rather useful.

There has been a lot of talk about multi tools but think. Well-made hand tools do not break down so I do anticipate that there will be many hand tools still around. Craftsman tools have a one-hundred-year warranty. Sears would not have such a warranty on their tools if they were not built to last. I chose to include an RSK Mk3 to have on my person because it has a good design and if it were left in my room for forty years, it would not have been maintained and therefore rusted. Tools regularly used would be maintained and therefore they would be around and usable in 2050.

Which would last longer, a computer or a screwdriver?

That said, since my player-character is based on myself, Jeanette would have a computer and other electronic devices. Now if a friend had the forethought of unplugging all of her electronic devices and removing all the batteries after Jeanette disappeared, even the battery backup in the computer, it would be safe to assume they would work if some maintenance were done before turning them back on.

Jeanette Isabelle