Originally Posted By: Dagny
EMT is nice -- mostly because you can trade for your services. But I'd rather be a MacGyver -- one whose knowledge ranges far beyond just medical. Knowledge you can use and trade.

As I have said, I want the knowledge of my player-character to be reasonably close to what I know. I don't have the knowledge to do half the stuff MacGyver does.

Have your character get a b.s. in mechanical engineering with a particular obsession with external and internal combustion engines. Then you could put that Texas oil to good use.

Hikaru, the Tai Chi master player-character I mentioned, is a computer engineer. She designed and built a relay switch computer, a computer built using 19th century technology. She also found the plans and engineering notes for a 1904 Rolls-Royce (designed, of course, by an electrical engineer) and is building a small car with a two-cylinder, ten-horsepower engine in a machine shop.

If my house were going to be intact and my tons of camping and hiking gear with it (which includes Ritter's MK3) then all I'd like to bring through the time portal is a backpack full of Luna Bars, dried fruit and antibiotics.

Any carbon steel knife sitting around that long would rust. Also, if my player-character does not have her knife with her, there would be no reason for her to have her Tuf-Cloth on her and I imagine it too would be useless if it sat around for forty years.

Jeanette Isabelle