The more important things are 1) understanding of why these tools work and 2) training in using the tools, along with improvisation. QuikClot is sexy and all but if you don't appreciate what led up to its development, you are missing out.

For those who don't know, this is all rooted in "Tactical Combat Casualty Care" or TC3. Google it and read to your heart's content. All the info is open source. Those with a little fortitude will seek out TC3-centric training. There is plenty of it out there now available to civilans.

If you think the local EMTs and paramedics are the go-to people for this, you are wrong. I love EMTs, I am one, and I've worked in the business for years but they are NOT the subject matter experts on dealing with active arterial bleeds due to penetrating trauma when under fire.

Learn WHY to pack a bleed, then HOW, then learn when QC is appropriate. Tourniquets are superb, the old wives' tales about them have been slain, but learn to use a "stick and a rag", then graduate to a CAT or SOFTT-Wide.

Skipping the simpler methods cheats you out of deeper understanding and appreciation. It's like school kids using a calculator before they learn long division. Doing it manually makes you really appreciate the calculator and use it more effectively, plus some day there won't be a calculator when you need one.