Gerber has a bunch of new stuff coming out ranging from multitools to official Bear Grylls survival kits and an expanded line of his signature knives. I know you are dying to see Grylls' gear, so I'll start there.

BG-Panga by merriwether, on Flickr
Of the many new BG knives, I found the parang (msrp $50) to actually be intriguing. It has a high carbon steel blade coated with some sort of oxide protective layer. With a rockwell count of only 48, it is soft the way a machete should be so you can resharpen it easily in the field. Thankfully it has a full-tang handle. The sheath is just basic nylon with a small foldout pamphlet of basic survival info. This pamphlet will be included with all of BG's knives.

Next to it in the picture above are the two BG survival kits. The smaller orange kit contains a Mini-Paraframe knife, generic wflat whistle, a "mischmetal" fire starter & striker, waterproof lifeboat matches, snare wire, some cord, and a cotton ball for tinder.

The larger kit contains a Miniture multitool, LED flashlight, braided wire saw, signal mirror, space blanket, a "mischmetal" fire starter & striker, waterproof lifeboat matches, snare wire, some cord, waxed thread, a fishing kit, and a sewing kit. The wire saw was actually pretty heavy-duty being made of 3-4 braided wires.

BG-scouts by merriwether, on Flickr
Grylls is also bringing two folding lockback scout knives along with a folding version of his Ultimate Survival Knife. His firestarter requires two hands to use.

BG-multitools by merriwether, on Flickr
Next are BG's Ultimate and Compact multitools. Nothing overly special about them other than the grippy rubber coating and the ability to open the blades without having to open the handles.

GerberKnives by merriwether, on Flickr
Moving away from Bear Grylls and into Gerber's regular line, they have four new spring-assisted opening knives. Like most knife companies, they are adding a serrated section to the blades. Thankfully one of them doesn't have this "improvement". I don't have prices on these yet.

GerberMultitools by merriwether, on Flickr
Gerber seemed to be trying to make their newest multitools "office friendly" by making them look less knife-shaped. The gray multitool is still fairly traditional though the pliers pops straight out the top rather than the usual "butterfly" style. It contains a regular-sized bit driver and also a Gerber-specific tiny bit driver. The tiny driver has just a flat eye-glass sized bit on one end and a small Philips head on the other end which is mainly for small electronics.

The blue and orange tools contain LED flashlights, regular bit drivers, scissors, and assorted other basic tools but now pliers.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.