Originally Posted By: Eugene
If your battery is in good shape and just run down from leaving something on (and I'm still amazed that some modern cars from brands that supposedly paid attention to even the smallest details don't have any kind of anti rundown protection) then one of those jump start kits will work, but if you have a battery that is having issues or very cold weather then they are seldom powerful enough. Jumper cables can get you started in those situations.
I've seen jumper cables used to work around a failing started solenoid as well.

Thanks Eugene. I've been debating getting a stand-alone unit like the Eliminator, or something similar. It's a bit bulky but I've used one a couple of times, both in non-winter, and it was a breeze. I thought about it again this morning when both our vehicles reconsidered the wisdom of going anywhere in the sub-arctic temps. If it won't work when it -30 outside the value is definitely less.

We have tried one of those little thingies that attach to the battery to give it a shot of juice if you leave you lights on or something and it was just crap. There may be better models out there but good old jumper cables and a friendly neighbour still seem more reliable than anything.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA