Manuals are available at most parts stores (Autozone, CarQuest, NAPA to name a few). I like Chiltons Manuals but Haynes are pretty good too. These will have more information than you will probably need and assume a certain level of comfort with things automotive. I'd be willing there is an intro "auto repair for dummies" book at your local library or book store.

On the lights - personally I don't think it is possible to overdue there but my wife might have a different opinion. Each of my cars has at least 3 lights stashed around.

Towing - typical not huge SUVs have Gross Vehicle Weights under 6000 lbs and towing capacities around the same. Check your manual for your GVW and get a strap with at least that much capability. I always aim a bit higher but keep in mind my comments about lights as you read this. smile

Air compressor - lots of choices, I've had good luck with craftsman.

Inverter - My computer uses an 85W power adapter. Max capacity on most older "cigarette lighters" is ball park 150-180 watts. Newer "power ports" are often good for a bit more than 220 watts. I would probably go 150 watts.

For tools it really is a matter of what you are comfortable handling on the road. My Dad and Grandpa were mechanics so I carry a lot of tools and supplies. With modern cars the failure rate is a lot lower and so is your ability to fix things on the road.

Here is a link to my tool list in a recent topic discussing Winter Car kits. Good thread to look through, especially bacpacjac's list of supplies several posts above mine.

In addition to fuses etc., I also like to carry oil and transmission fluid in the car. Sears/Craftsman has some hard plastic "truck boxes" that are just about perfect for this.

-Eric