Benchmade introduced a new knife at SHOT this year that was, for me, the highlight of the show. The 915 Triage is about 95% of what I think a perfect “rescue knife” should be, missing only an oxygen wrench hole (which a couple of Benchmade’s Safety Cutters do feature).

The 915 Triage is a manual opening folding knife that features a 3.5” modified sheepsfoot style blade in N680 steel, a 2” long 440c hook safety cutter, fully lined G10 handles and a carbide glass breaker. The 915 Triage uses Benchmade’s Axis Locking system allowing the knife to be opened and closed with one hand, ambidextrously. The 915 is available in any combination of plain or combo edge blades with or without black anti-corrosive coating and either a black or orange G10 handle scales.

Without comparing them side by side, the 915 Triage seemed to be the same size as my RSK Mk1 with a thinner handle profile (due to the G10 handles). In direct comparison the 915 is only slightly bigger than a large Griptilian, with a thicker blade profile, thinner handle, and heavier. Clipped in my front pocket, I could tell no difference in between the two knives.

The market has been flooded with what companies are calling “rescue” knives many of them are either disposable junk, knives already in production that have had brightly colored handles and rounded off blade tips to make them a “rescue” knife, but few of them actually are purpose built “rescue” knives (Gerber’s Hinderer for example) which are great rescue tools but less adequate as an EDC knife. The 915 is the first knife that I have seen that can truly fill both roles as an EDC knife and is a “rescue” knife in one package. The 915 was designed with military and public safety users in mind, but I foresee this knife become equally popular with well equipped civilians looking for a EDC knife that also could fulfill the function of an automotive escape tool like Benchmade’s Houdini.

The MSRP for the 915 Triage is $165 with an non-coated blade and $180 for a black anti-corrosive coated blade.

Benchmade is a Knife Rights Sharper Future Legal Fund Platinum Donor

Support companies that support Knife Rights.