Originally Posted By: Chisel
Quote:
What would be the advantage of a rechargeable stove over one where you simply attach a canister? Wouldn't a canister be just as easy?

Generally yes.
But I have explained that a rechargeable stove is easier and safer to put in the luggage and when I reach the destination , I go to ANY store and buy a lighter refilling canister to refill the stove.

A normal detacheable stove canister is only available in camping stores, but a lighter refill canister is available almost everywhere.

And I am not intending this stove for wilderness or camping , but for urban travel (by car or bus).
OK, OK, I'm a little slow, but now I see exactly why you want a refillable stove. Butane refills for a cigarette lighter would be the most widely available; I agree. I honestly haven't seen refillable stoves available. You might try eBay. If you're just traveling by bus or train, I personally would buy a canister ahead of time and carry the canister with me.

If some type of alcohol stove is an option, then I might try that since I think it will be hard to find a refillable butane stove. There are three types of alcohol that are commonly used for stove fuel:
ethanol (ethyl alcohol) -- Best
methanol (methyl alcohol) -- OK
isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol) -- Bad

Ethanol could be a problem in the middle east because ethanol is the kind of alcohol people drink. However, if it's mixed with something that renders it undrinkable, it may still be available. When mixed with something that renders it undrinkable, it is sometimes referred to by names like denatured alcohol, methylated spirits, and meths. You can often get this undrinkable type of alcohol at hardware stores, paint stores, industrial supply stores, pharmacies, etc.

So, I hope you can find a refillable butane stove, but I think you may have a hard time.

Alternatively, get a stove that has detachable canisters and just bring a canister with you. This is what I normally do on trips where I travel by any means except air.

Lastly, you could try some type of stove that burns undrinkable type alcohol if you can find a source of undrinkable type alcohol.

Those are my thoughts. I hope that helps,

HJ