Originally Posted By: billvann
He puts the Reflectix only on the windows? It makes sense that the windows would be the place where you'd lose the most heat but I never would of thought of selectively insulating the vehicle. Clever. That plus the rope between windows to cut the space in half would really create a space that can be heated with whatever source you have for twice as long.

And if you have Reflectix or a reflective windshield screen you can lay on top of it to prevent heat loss where your body contacts the car. Even though the seats are insulated, the Reflectix would bounce the heat back to you. Add a space blanket and your body heat alone would last longer.

Add a heat souce such as candle or the propane catalytic heater, or even periodically running your engine (assuming you clear the tail pipe and have enough gas and battery. Be careful to ration your gas and battery. They can be used with foam from a car seat to make a black smoke fire to attract SAR searchers.

Yes, I, and many other Honda Element owners, just cover the windows with Reflectix. Just cut each piece (scissors are sufficient) a half inch or so larger than each window and they stay in place after you apply light pressure to them in the corners and along the edges. They roll up quite compactly. I already keep a sunshade in the car at all times but for winter-survival would be good to augment with Reflectix there, as well.

I've woken up in the morning (30s-40s temps) in the back of the Element, pulled the Reflectix off the rear windows and been struck by the instant draft that comes in.

Some Element folks have used Reflectix below their sleeping pads if camping in extremely cold weather. Also have a Reflectix piece for your sunroof if you have one. It can be held in place with Velcro or temporarily with duct tape, I suppose.

My loosely rolled Reflectix pieces measure 7"x18." Rolled it tighter and got it to 6.5" diameter. This excludes pieces for the driver and passenger windows. I leave those uncovered when camping.

This photo below shows one of the Element's suicide doors. As you can see, my cut was pretty sloppy, that piece could be smaller. This is the first time my photos have not displayed in the post. Is that a forum formatting change? Or must I have done something differently in posting the pics?

Attachments
DSC_3242.JPG (845 downloads)
DSC_3239.JPG (652 downloads)
DSC_3240.JPG (684 downloads)
DSC_3243.JPG (685 downloads)