The review and grylling of the latest BG knife cause me to ask, can any of the members of the forum provide personal experiences in which the Big Survival Knife played an important/crucial role in their survival?

I am definitely skeptical about the value of a BSK, based on my experience, which is primarily in the desert southwest. Reviewing my "adventures" I have several cases where building a fire was extremely important, but I handled that without using a knife. I can think of instances where a larger canteen (or more of them) would have been useful, and situations where a good FAK, primarily an elastic bandage, got me out of the wilderness and back to town. I have just never had one of those moments where I gazed skyward and said, "If only I had brought a bigger knife!"

I certainly find knives useful,and I have EDC'd various Swiss Army models to good advantage for many years. Even now I EDC a Classic along with a Leatherman Wave, and they do get used. I even own some BSKs, but they rarely make the cut when I am selecting gear. They are simply too cumbersome for what they do, IMHO.

So, enlighten me! Let's hear the personal stories where the BSK really made a difference, and, especially, where a lesser implement would have left you in the lurch.

Edited by hikermor (11/30/10 01:08 PM)