This has been covered pretty well here, there are a couple points I would like to highlight or discuss more, in no particular order:

Training: Get some training and practice with the supplies you will have in your kits. Not all dressings or tourniquets are the same.

Occlusive Dressings:
Asherman chest seals are not worth it. There have been and continue to be serious issues with the adhesive, without backing them up with tape they are useless. The newer Bolin Chest seals are better, but for the money Halo Chest Seals are a much better choice. The Halo seals work better and the packaging is more robust.

For a simple and cheap occlusive dressing, I put 2 4"x4" gauze pads and 2' of 3" tape in a zip-lock bag. Place the gauze pads on the wound and tape the plastic bag over it to make an air tight seal.

Hemostatics

Like MDinana typed, if you do decided to carry a hemostatic the impregnated dressings are the way to go. While there is still a time and place for some of the loose granules or powdered hemostatics, their applications in both the civilian and military realm is limited significantly and should be used only by advanced providers. Both QuickClot and Celox have reasonably priced hemostatic dressings, the best bang for the buck is the rolled gauze hemostatic dressings.

Quote:
Perhaps the most important question would be, "How long would it take for a capable paramedic to respond to your 911 call?" Transport in a private vehicle might or might not be a good idea. The paramedic will be in communication with the ER, and will have expanded capabilities over even a well trained layperson. They can best utilize the "Golden Hour."

In response to this question, the answer would have to be how close exactly are you to the ED? If you are across the street from a Hospital with a bleeding patient and there is no concern for neck/back or head injuries, then maybe it may not be bad idea to just get the patient to the ED as best as you can. In most other situations, it is probably best to call 911. One thing most don't consider; is the closest ED the right one? In the end, definitive care for significant trauma is SURGERY and not every hospital has the capability to get a patient in front of a surgeon quick enough.

You can facilitate how quickly EMS crews can find you: know the address of where you are. Seriously, we have been dispatched to 2 calls today where the caller didn't know the address of where they were. For more remote locations, GPS coordinates are very helpful.

What I carry in my Range Kit

This kit fits in a 8"x4"x14" pouch that can fit in my range bag, it is for just BAD stuff. A modified AMK 0.5 lightweight kit is also in my range bag for boo-boo stuff.

2- "H" Compression Bandages
2- Halo Bandages
2- Z-PAK Gauze Dressing
1- Celox Trauma Gauze (3"x6')
2- Halo Seals
1- 30fr NPA
1- 28fr NPA
1- Surgical Airway Kit
1- Needle Chest Decompression Kit
1- Trauma Shears
4- sets of EMS gloves
2- TK4 Tourniquets
1- small roll duct tape
1- Pocket BVM

I do carry an IFAK on my belt when using firearms in remote areas and for some classes etc. This kit I carry in a small IFAK pouch made by High Speed Gear. I keep this kit simple and carry:

1- "H" Compression Bandages
1- 14g IV cath for chest decompression
1- 30fr NPA
1- Pair EMS gloves
1- Trauma Shears
1- McMillian Tourniquet (attached to the outside)
1- 24" duct tape

Keep you IFAKs simple, clean and streamlined. It will make it easier to find what you need when you need it.

Edited by Alan_Romania (12/16/10 05:13 PM)