I have carried two 1990's era military field dressings and a triangular bandage (which I got when in the NG) with my items to go to the rifle range, just in case.

But after looking on the 'Net I see this is totally inadequate, and the technology and procedures have moved on considerably since my combat lifesaver training in the early 90's. Now that my children go with me to the range, I want to upgrade the kit.

The range I shoot at is at least 30 minutes from an emergency facility.

I thought of just buying a straight US Army IFAK, but I do no not know the proper use of all of the components, or the rationale for each, and so I'm not sure it is sufficient for my needs.

I know I want 1-2 First Care "Israeli" dressings (4", with mobile pad), a tourniquet (CAT-type), and something to stop heavy bleeding like QuikClot. I've also seen the wound covers for a sucking chest wound. (IIRC, we had something similar in the CLS bag.) I will also throw in some nitrile gloves.

Questions:

Is that all I need?

As to the QuikClot, it is sold in all sorts of sizes and flavors. "Sport", "Adventure", Trauma" - in 25g, 50g and 100g sponges, and a 4-yard combat gauze. I have never used it, so on this I am clueless. What and how many should I have? How is it used? Because I am on blood thinners, someone recommended I have some QuikClot anyway in case I have a bad cut in my workshop, as my meds make it hard for my blood to clot. Recommendations and insights?

The IFAK has a compressed gauze bandage. How is that used? Should I have one as well?

Any comments, hints, advice, help, etc., would be most appreciated.

And, Happy Thanksgiving to all!

.....CLIFF
(like, who else?)

Edited by cliff (11/25/10 05:00 AM)