Thanks ireckon,

I still carry the same kit, but find it missing 1st Aid, water and shelter components. The best thing about the kit is that it is always with me, a middle-aged guy carrying a cellphone in a black nylon holster is normal. The Gerber STL 2.0 knife I use daily, the lighter a couple times a week and the diamond sharpener maybe once a month (usually for other peoples blades).

I did both a week of moose and week of deer hunting this fall and found that my recently built small survival kit in a BCB Mini Mess Tin was too heavy and large for pocket carry, therefore it rode in my backpack with the shelter kit. This made me feel less that prepared on my person, even with my normal on-body wilderness EDC items present. I ended-up also carrying a supplemented AMK/DK PSP in my coat pocket.

Since there was no cell phone service I did not carry my Mini-Kit so I am going to assemble a new small kit in a medium-size tobacco tin (a little bigger than an Altoids Tin) and carry that in a slightly larger Nite-Ize pouch similar to the one used in the Mini-Kit. That way I will always have the kit with me and it is easy to move from one set of clothing to another.

Sounds like another mid-winter project to me.

Mike