Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
As with any jacket it will leak eventually in the most demanding conditions, i.e. through seems, zippers and stitching just as non permeable material jackets will, although the guidelines set down by Gore have stringent testing on all garments before they can get the Goretex label. Jackets using non permeable materials will become wet inside, just to a much greater degree and a whole lot quicker, through sweating, poorer construction quality through leaky zips etc and reduced hydrostatic head of the material itself.

Well, you made some general statements that don't apply to all products. As I provided above, here is a non-breathable, seamless, waterproof jacket:
http://www.bicycleclothing.com/Waterproof-Rain-Jackets.html

I have a similar poncho and a similar jacket. Again, I said seamless. So, there's no need to discuss leaks at the seams. My ponchos are not airtight. So, sweat build-up is not so much an issue. One of them will be coming with me in the pouring rain, not my more expensive Goretex jackets.

To be complete, I also wear an undergarment made of a polyester that wicks moister away from my skin. I also wear a fleece-type insulation layer that dries quickly and is warm even when it's wet. In contrast, if you wear cotton underneath a non-breathable shell, then you will be wet and cold eventually.