Quote:
So, you have compared the two in pouring rain?

I've compared the old 58 Pattern Poncho (PVC Backed Nylon) to a Goretex one and the Goretex one is better all round.

Quote:
as long as I'm not running around and getting sweaty.

This is the main advantage of using the Goretex and in this respect even Goretex is not perfect when used during high activity such as climbing a hillside. If your not moving then a tarp or basha or golf umbrella works even better.

Materials such as coated sil nylon (i.e. same as used in tent fly sheet manufacture) aren't as waterproof as Goretex, which will have a hydrostatic head of 10000mm compared to say 3000 mm.

Quote:
In contrast, I do have some expensive Goretex jackets (not ponchos though) that will leak eventually.

As with any jacket it will leak eventually in the most demanding conditions, i.e. through seems, zippers and stitching just as non permeable material jackets will, although the guidelines set down by Gore have stringent testing on all garments before they can get the Goretex label. Jackets using non permeable materials will become wet inside, just to a much greater degree and a whole lot quicker, through sweating, poorer construction quality through leaky zips etc and reduced hydrostatic head of the material itself.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (10/29/10 09:15 PM)