Originally Posted By: Fyrediver

Additionally, I do think our public schools are failing in what I consider their primary mission. However, I feel it is the fault of the parents because the school system is overburdened doing the parent's job. Teachers are being charged with being supplemental parents rather than just being teachers. All the responsibility but none of the authority. Schools shouldn't be responsible for every facet of a child's life, but that's what they're being held responsible for doing. If the school does discipline a student oftentimes parents come to the school and complain that their little precious is being picked on. So much for the school having any authority to maintain order let alone establish a rigid standard. Parents that pay for private school or Home school are usually far more involved in their kid's schooling than many public school kids. Apples and Oranges with regards to parental involvement.

This is the exact argument that is proffered by public school teachers in between strikes for higher wages and smaller classes. Although at their level there is some merit to the argument, in reality the situation could change overnight if the grossly overpaid administrators and blowhard politicians declared that all classes are in English, the teachers are THE talent in the system, and that they will control the classroom. Not the parent, and certainly not the students!

Unacceptable behavior would simply be forbidden and crushed. Shools are part of our society, and as with any other societal misfit. serious or chronic disruptors would be locked down in reform schools as they were in the past, with the parent and the 'student' paying the room and board. The teacher would instruct the parents as to the requirements of behavior, dress, and performance, and the parent and students would be required to comply or face fines and other sanctions.

And yes, the ludicrous notions of social advancement for students and tenure for teachers is forever relegated to the dumpster and yes, you could flunk out or get fired if you don't keep up. The other side of the coin is that once teachers control the classroom, as they once did, they would be fully accountable for their results.

I am married to a teacher, so this is dinnertime conversation for us.