Originally Posted By: MBO
making such a widespread, blanket judgment (though a handful have it made crystal clear that they happily are), but this thread seems to have devolved into a collection of anecdotes about how terrible anyone under 30 is.

Welcome!

It's not just the under 30. This morning I went to exchange something at Lowe's. It took the cashier before me (probably in her 40's) 3 times to correctly label something "Defective, doesn't work." Seriously. Attempt one: Defected. Attempt 2: Defective, does (and the proceeded to "dot her I" in that word) Finally she figured it out.

A bunch of it probaby has to do w/ the education system, but probably more has to do with parents. Ignorance breeds ignorance, but you fly to the other end and apparently richness breeds ignorance too. Check out "Jersey shore" or any of the "Real Housewive" series to see how ditzy you can get despite every opportunity available.

I wonder though, how much of it is just every day American life. Example: yesterday we bought a new TV stand. The most I had to do to assemble it was put in 4 screws with an allen wrench. Literally everything else was precut, pre-measured, and "made to fit." No thought what-so-ever on my part. "Convenience" has made it so a person can really tune-out most of life.