Regarding the idea of allowing creativity in education, I'm fine with NOT formally including creativity as part of the curriculum. We have a limited number of resources. Creativity can be developed naturally at home and on the playground. Kids should be encouraged to do so. I'm NOT talking about getting rid of classes like music. I'm talking about ensuring that kids are, for example, being taught music theory in their music classes and being tested on it.

I personally don't respect somebody's creativity, unless that person first knows the rules and then respectfully ventures from those rules. I draw the analogy to music. You can't be a great musician until you understand and appreciate what was there before you showed up on the scene. You may be a naturally gifted musician, but you can't be great until you understand the rules and history of your art form.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that most kids naturally have a problem with following simple instructions. Adults have the responsibility of teaching the rules. Kids will be creative naturally and don't need much help from us there.