Pop sociology. Generational generalities aren't very edifying or useful. "Experts" can't even agree on when one generation ends and the next begins. My sister had very different perspective and memories (or lack of) of significant events we both experienced and she's only four years younger.

Generation Z (born since 2000)
Generation Y (born late 70s or 82-1999)
Generation X (born 1961 or 65-86, opinion varies on when the Boom ended)
Baby Boomer (born 1946-61 or 64)
Silent Generation (born 1925-45)
Greatest Generation (born 1901-24)
Lost Generation (fought in WW I)

Big societal events are an interesting demarcation. The Boomers who were in their late-teens and 20s (and subject to the draft) during the Vietnam War were impacted differently than the Boomers who were 10 years old at the height of the war. The Boomers who were 28 during Watergate were affected differently than the Boomers who were 12.

The Korean War began five years after World War II -- yet different experiences for the combatants and the entire nation (no rationing during the Korean War). World War I was a different experience from WWII, for the combatants and U.S. civilians.

I graduated high school after the draft ended. Subsequent wars no longer included worry among those of draft age that they would be drafted to fight in it or worry on the part of their loved ones. Good or bad, lack of the draft has made the last thirty years of wars a different experience for the generations of "draft age" and their families.

Economic events and trends can have profound effects on psyche, depending on the age and circumstance of those experiencing them. The 1930s Great Depression had a life-long impact on the behavior and psychology of my grandparents. The 1970s stagflation and energy crises (even-odd days of rationing) were seared into my psyche (I was making minimum wage when the 1979 Iranian Oil Crisis occurred and gas price doubled in a year). The 21% prime interest rate and the 13% inflation rate of 1980 and the '81-'82 recession are vivid still as my family and I were affected.

Prior to the 2008 financial meltdown several of my peers and I used to discuss how today's 20 and 30-somethings had no memory of the last severe recession ('81-'82) and the economic hardships of the 1970s.

Those in today's job market won't soon forget the current downturn.

Those who were 20 on 9/11/01 will forever be impacted differently than those who were 10 (those who lost a loved one that day will obviously forever have a unique take on it).

Do kids still do civil defense drills ("duck-and-cover") in school?

I'd be interested in a discussion of life-shaping events that the entire society experienced and how those impacted people of different ages.