Sorry to disagree but I believe in personal responsibility, not blaming others including parents, schools, friends, etc. for the failing of the individual. There are just too many opportunities available to blame others. There are kids who come from the worst families, poorest schools, crime-ridden neighborhoods and are subjected to intense negative peer pressure, who arise and decide to make something of themselves. Our military is full of well trained, disciplined and intelligent young persons, many of which came from the above conditions and who by many were written off as nincompoops.

Yes, many of every generation fail to take advantage of the opportunities and succumb to the “easy way” only later to be held accountable by some event in their life. We all (the generic all) have life a little easier than generations before, due to their sacrifices and desire to impart a better life for future generations. Do I disagree that there are parents out there who do a disservice to their children by pampering and babying their children, of course not, there are many, perhaps too many. However, there are just as many parents who are trying to do the right thing and still have children who refuse to accept their responsibility to be self-reliant and productive individuals.

Just my 2 cents-
Pete