Hi,

I haven't read through all the responses so forgive me for any redunancies. I would opt also for the hiking stick or even a regular escrima stick.

I live in NY, where pretty much anything is illegal, but many people jog, walk and walk their own dogs carrying a similar bludgeon. And we're not in a rough area, either. It's just an accepted sign of the times, I guess.

A few things I wanted to add that may help you with dog confrontations:

1) If a dog is loose, do not RUN away from it. Rather make your departure at an oblique angle, facing the dog, but not staring at it. In the dog world, this body language indicates you do not want to fight but will defend if provoked.

2) Do not stare them in the eyes but rather at the ground in front of them. Rely on your peripheral vision to see what you're doing but don't directly stare.

3) Keep your mouth closed or, at least, do not show your teeth. Some dogs take this as aggression.

4) If a dog attacks, make sure to protect your neck as they will often go for face bites as they associate your teeth as your primary weapon.

5) If a dog is barking at you but is behind a fence (even a smallish, puny one), continue walking as you were. Many times, they are just protecting their territory and are putting on a show. If you keep walking and act unperturbed, they usually will stop once you're out of their range.

I'm a dog fan but acknowledge the dangers of aggressive, unsocialized and loose dogs. Your vigilance is your best asset.

Best wishes.