Originally Posted By: Blast
While I agree somewhat with the article's conclusions, how many of have all the skills and abilities of our parents? Or think of it this way, how many of your parent's skills are obsolete now?

That being said, we are trying to install in our kids a strong skill set including math, science and engineering. I keep thinking that someday those that understand the world will rule the world... crazy

-Blast

I`m constantly teaching my old man new things, or should I say we are constantly breaking things and learning new things together. laugh

As far as his skills obsolete... nope.
Are they not taught in schools anymore... yep.

There's a very clear line between social classes and skills of now and skills of the `past`. How many kids brought up in nice neighborhoods have any idea how to replace a spark plug on their lawn mower, what about change a flat tire on their bike... most people now take that stuff in to get worked on. Now go to a blue collar neighborhood and look how many people can do the above, and much more.

The skills are moving to different social classes, and kids with interests such as wood working, auto mechanic, etc are looked down upon by some of todays society.

It's rather sad the "hands on" "make it yourself" etc.. type skills, and jobs are often the ones kids of today have NO interest in.

I`m not old by any means, and also not a teen but growing up we didn't have auto mechanics or wood shop offered at our high school. The JC does offer this, and many welding classes though!

Parents of today need to let their kids know it's OK to make things with your hands, and repair... the bigger problem is these parents have no understanding or interest themselves it seems.

-Todd (Who's a computer programmer as well as a metal fabricator, tractor driver, and more!)

PS: Sorry for long post/rant. I just had this same convo with someone else, and it's rather sad.