Some very good points.

I forgot to include that in California turtles can only be taken be holders of valid fishing licenses and only by hook and line. My target turtles will be red ear sliders which are an invasive species crowding out, primarily, the western box turtle. I appreciate the turtle handling tips.

Fortunately or unfortunately in my area most of the water snakes, snapping turtles, etcetera do not exist.

Sorry I was not clear: snakes will be captured alive using snake sticks but dispatched in the field almost immediately by beheading. I do not know what the rules are about transporting live rattlesnakes but I think and will guess that unless you have a collecting permit that is not allowed in CA, but I am not putting live rattlesnakes in my vehicle in any event.

The pellet gun is for rabbits, squirrels,and turkeys when in season. For Friday it is to try to zero in the new gun with its new scope and generally make it my friend in the field. I will be bringing targets and a pellet trap box to mount them on.