Originally Posted By: hikermor
Indeed you will have a nice EDC survival kit. I have done somewhat the same thing with the Maxped 10x4 bottle holder, after modifying it by ripping out all the padding and trimming off unnecessary material. It nicely holds a nested Snow Peak 700 pot and lid, water bottle (either nalgene, gatorade or one liter platypus), windscreen, plus a Trangia alcohol stove, fuel bottles, lighter, and tea bags. I call it my NCOT (Nice Cup Of Tea/ kit. Compact and self contained.

That sounds like pretty much what I want to do. My bain marie pot showed up today, btw. It's very nice, pretty heavy duty- much moreso, in fact, than I'd anticipated. My feeling is that it will really last and take some abuse. It's a wee bit bigger than I'd hoped, but not overly so. The pot is 6" tall with the lid on. It's just a smidge over 4" wide thru the body but the flared top is nearly 5" wide, as is the lid. We'll see if it fits in the Maxpedition bottle bag. If not it's no big deal as I aleady plan to pick up the slightly skinnier 1.25 qt bain marie pot by Polarware. If nothing else I've got dozens of uses for this pot.

Soon I'll have to start the modding of it. I'd like to add a bail/handle, and I'll have to think about how to go about it. I could drill the lip and rework the lid, or I could make a wire loop that would encircle the body yet be smaller than the lip. The latter idea would be much simpler but probably not as permanent.

I'll post some pics when I get a chance to take a few.