Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS

OK..how about this?

i'm out in the wilds on my own for how knows how long,the food is getting really low and just fish is not making it.in real life this was a week into a two week solo canoe trip and i had more than enough to eat not to mention "fun food" like cookies and popcorn.but lets say i need to kill that deer--see it across the bay in the red circle--about 65 yards by Google map measure--
even over open sights with a 30-30 i would not want to stake my life on that shot..by the way this deer was really tame.it just browsed around while i sat and had lunch and took photos.so a air pistol?.shotgun? old surplus Enfield?..modern 280 with red dot sights?..sneak up on it after a six hour stalk and leap out of tree with a--name you favorite knife here--and cut it's throat??
ok i'm getting off track here but what do you think??

K, I'll bite. Hypothetically, I would like one of those well-sighted in Savage over and under combos with a .223 on the top and a 20 guage or whatever on the bottom with some large shot, 00 buck maybe. I would feel fairly comfortable under those circumstances that I could take that deer. I don't know which barrel I would chose to use. At first I thought the .223 barrel with a round in the heart/lung area, but OO buck at that range also might work, although it's a bit on the outside end of the good effective range I suppose. Oh, it would be quite possible to use one of those .223 barrel inserts that take a .22 LR cartridge for smaller game with that gun, too.

A somewhat dice-ier shot would be with my scoped Marlin bolt action .22 WMR carbine. At 65 yards, a neck shot would be easy, a brain shot possible. That's one very accurate rifle, and I would seriously consider taking that if I were wandering off into the deep dark woods. It doesn't weigh much, and a person could take a lot of ammo.