[quote=Eugene
I do use debit cards but split my pay into two different accounts at two different banks and each one has all the bill pay info so if one card were stolen/lost/ bank's systems down I could run from the other. [/quote]

We have a similar setup. My DW and my paychecks are electronicly deposited 75% into our household account, and 25% to a reserve account at another bank. All ATM, gas, groceries, and automatic payments come from the household account. There are no electronic withdrawels from the reserve account (except possibly some checks converted), and checks written against it are used very rarely, and then only to pay utility bills, boost the household account, or pay taxes if we get short in the household account.

I have steadfastly refused to use personal credit cards on principal, but after reading some of these posts, I am starting to realize that some things have changed and I need to rethink the strategy.

Thanks to the new banking bill, my bank now holds all checks for four or five days before posting, but debits are extracted at the speed of light. They also just lost a lawsuit in CA for rearrainging debits to pay the largest first in hopes that the account would dry up quicker and they could charge $15 to $20 for each smaller cash advance thereafter until the automatic paycheck deposit comes in to cover. I used to go online and check, and if short just write a check from my reserve account to cover immediately. That doesn't work any more with the four or five day wait to credit checks.

I think it's time to put up the debit cards and get another credit card for DW and take the one out of the safe for me. Makes sense to use the protections available and get aweay from the debit card scams, and stay disciplined and pay the balance each month.