Originally Posted By: sak45acp
My .02: Keep the phone chargers. Many, if not all cellphone towers are designed to stay upright during ground movement, and have backup generators. If there is not enough signal for cell conversations there may be enough for text messages. As you said, the size and wieght of the chargers you have is small enough to keep with you. Just try to keep the phone charged at all times so you don't get stuck at the beginning with a down battery.

You may also wnat to be visible at times, you mentioned traffic. If you can't get out of your building,you can use it to mark your location for rescuers. There are other scenarios where you may find it useful. If you don't need it or want to remain "gray" just keep it in your pack.

Get in shape now. You've already started on that, but try a walking/running program and try to up your upper body strength. Depending on the damage in the city and what you have to do to "escape" to your home, you may have to be stronger than you are now.

Do a dry run or two. Pick a weekend and have someone to support you with a car and do the walk from work to the house. Break it into several sections for several weekends if you have to. The purpose here is recon, not to get into shape. You will find out what obstacles are, or could be, on your planned route and where you may have to change your plans. You will be able to see which bridge is your best bet, or where you might be able to "acquire" alternate transportation. You will see if your chosen gear will actually be worth carrying or if it is just crap. Maybe speak to business owners on the way before hand to establish sleeping/resupply points. It will also give you an idea what you are actually in shape to do and allow you to have a more realistic time table.

I would also add a small, flat wrecking bar to your pack. It will make it easier to get into the vending machine at work wink

Good ideas on the practice runs home. I had thought about it, but had not considered doing it in sections over a couple of weekends. That sounds much easier to schedule.

I already have a full-size crowbar as part of the gear I have at the office. The idea was to use it as needed there, then leave it behind. Are you suggesting a smaller wrecking bar to add to my pack to take with me on the trip home? This was something I had thought about before, but decided the weight of anything big enough to be useful would not be useful enough to actually carry. The tiny key-chain and 6 inch pry bars I ran across just seemed to limited for the situations where they would work, but something else improvised would not.