Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
Wolfepack... the tuna oil comment was from my Boy Scout years (about 50 ago) I was fortunate to have WWII combat vets as scoutmasters, and a couple of things stuck with me over the years. One was care of your feet... the duck tape is proactive...apply duck tape to areas of your feet eg. heels, large and small toes, outside of foot where there is a probability of blisters occuring, especially if you are not accustomed to long treks before you depart. The tuna thing was to eat the tuna (back in those days most all canned seafood was in heavy oil)and then add some form of wicking to light the oil...we also carried a coil of paraffin filled corrugated cardboard in shoe polish tins that we used with GI metal canteens and canteen cups/stands for heat (we had a habit of planning outings in the rain). A $.12 block of paraffin was usually enough fuel for the weekend camping trip, though we typically built a traditional cook fire. regards Les

I'm not sure that tuna oil makes a better stove than an esbit tablet, however the idea of having something like a can of tuna available to eat before I start out for home has a some merit. High quality proteins and some fats should help sustain me for a longer period of time. Course, I'm not quite as sure about starting out my march with the taste of tuna in my mouth. grin Though I am sure that will quickly be the least of my worries.