Sad to say, my overnighter yesterday into today was the first time I've been out this summer! Although it didn't go as smoothly as it could have, overall I had a good time. I don't usually see my work schedule til Thurs or Fri, so short of requesting a specific time off I can't plan too far ahead. But there's a state park about 20 miles away that I really like. Not remote and unspoiled, but it's a pretty area and close enough for impromptu trips. I decided to take an overnight trip just to get out of the city for awhile.

First off, I didn't realize how hot it was- about 90 degrees with 90% humidity! And I wore a black T-shirt, carrying a black long sleeve in my pack in case it got cold at night. Luckily I had a white T from a liquor rep in the back seat of my car. Dressed a bit more appropriately for the weather, I sat up camp and started to get my fire ready.

Recently I traded a Knives of Alaska Elk Hunter to my Dad for an Ontario SP8 machette. I sharpened it up before the trip, keeping the edge pretty thick but getting it shaving sharp. I was eager to see how well it would baton wood. Not having been in the woods for awhile I foolishly tried to split a slender peice by swinging instead of hammering- big mistake! The razor edge cleaved deeply into my index finger with a spray of blood! It was a real gusher.

Luckily one area I never skimp on is the FAK. To me that's good weight, and I'll gladly hump that if I have to. There was so much blood spurting that I couldn't really tell just how big the cut was. It was then that I was glad that I'd chosen a Maxpedition F.I.G.H.T. bag for my kit; it was easy to rip it off (my brand new Maxpedition Kodiak) bag one handed. I wasn't really panicked at all, but I was a bit...concerned. Using a plastic bottle that had a small pinhole in the bottom I squeezed it hard and used the stream to irrigate the cut. Funny thing is I was p.o.'d that the bottle leaked and almost threw it away! Good thing I didn't. At any rate I ripped open a 4" x 4" Hemcon to patch up the cut. Yeah, they're pretty danged spendy but at that moment I wasn't in the mood to consider the price! I cut it into a few chunks and slapped one on. Even though I've used Hemcons before it's alway astonishing just how quickly they stop bleeding cold.

At any rate, suitably patched up I went back to my firewood. No matter how much I bled on it, it ain't gonna baton itself! After my initial miscue the rest of the job went smoothly. I'll say the Ontario is an awesome chopper! I think it would be a bit less work if it had a full flat grind, though. The thickness of the bevel made it stick a bit more than necessary. But on the other hand that thickness helped it baton pretty effectively.

With three nice piles of wood (1 large, 1 split to about 2" x 3" and 1 split into fine kindling) I was ready to get some fire up and running. Having played with my toys from Firesteel.com I was pretty confident I wouldn't need matches, but at the last minute I chicked out and tucked one box of matches and lighter into my pack. As it turns out they weren't needed- my GobSpark Armegeddon & a cotton ball had my fire going on the first strike.

Unfortunately, just as the fire really started cranking the sky began to darken. The rumbling of thunder was getting closer. It became obvious I was gonna get wet, and soon. It wasn't much but I did have one of those $.99 disposable ponchos with me. It was pretty thin but unlike a can liner it did have a hood. With a hunk of paracord as a belt I stayed pretty dry. And with a ripping fire already going I tossed a few big chunks on as a roof and the deluge didn't hurt my fire. There was enough notice to cover my wood piles with 55 gal drum liners. And I almost didn't bring them, lucky for me I threw 'em in.

Overall I had a good time. I was unlucky to get a bad cut & get drenched but fortunate to be pretty well prepared for it. And some of those preparations are things I'd have never thought of if not for sites like ST, ETS, etc. The paracord was very handy: I made a clothesline to dry a few things by the fire, I used it to make a shoulder strap for my water bottles and FAK as I headed down to get water to clean my cut, and it made a decent belt to keep my cheapo poncho from blowing off. If not for ZombieSquad I'd have probably not have the Maxpedition gear, and if not for EMT Life I wouldn't have had the Hemcon bandages.

Aside from having a good time I also got some good ideas on how to better rearrange the items in my FAK to make it easier to find just what I need quickly. For instance, if the Celox granules had been in the flap I'd have used a package of that instead of breaking out the "big gun" Hemcons. Also I should have filled all my water containers before I started fire prep- if I'd have done so I would have irrigated the cut 15 minutes sooner. Still, it was a good experience and I had a good time.