Very true bss48.
In the UK too the only way you can be made to attend a police station for questioning is by being arrested. So unless they arrest you; say you'll attend tomorrow. And bring a solicitor with you (if he thinks you should go).
Even if arrested you don't have to answer any questions. They can play good cop/bad cop, leave questions hanging, pretend they are about to hit you, all they want. Every interview technique meets a brick wall with silence. If you aren't arrested you can end the interview by simply saying I'm leaving now.
A lot of people go to prison because of what they said to the police. Remember the police can't fine you a penny, or sentence you to a minute in prison. Only a court can do that.
So don't try and convince them you are innocent unless it's provable. Their opinion doesn't matter. Don't try and be clever; don't try and outwit them. Simply shut up!
Here's just some of the statements that sound like they might help you and what they actually mean:
"I didn't want to get involved" is an admission you were involved.
"I didn't mean to hit him that hard" is an admission you hit him too hard.
"I was led into this by my companions" is an admission you were involved in it and are one of a bad company.
"I don't want to answer any questions officer: I'm still in shock from the shooting" is an admission you are not in a fit state to be a reliable witness.
Even not answering a question can be a tacit admission like the hilarous actual cross examination one sometimes sees on the net:
Q: "were you unfaithful to your husband in Los Angeles?"
A: "I wish to use my right to silence"
Q: "were you unfaithful to your husband in San Diego?"
A: "I wish to use my right to silence"
Q: "were you unfaithful to your husband in Hooverville
A: "No"
See the video for lots of other nightmarish examples of how innocent words can come back to haunt you.
The Sock