Actually, I think my wife did OK. It really was an odd situation - we had litterally closed on a new house that morning (in the same community we've been living in for the past 18-months). She and the kids were exploring the new home while I went to work to try and pay for the mortgage note I had just signed shocked . There were no phone books or internet connections in the house that she could use to look up a locksmith. She couldn't leave the house with the 2-year old trapped, and she also had to look after our 4-year old who was in the house as well.

The first thing I told her was to look for a nail or a wire coat hanger and to push it through the hole on her side of the door knob. Apparently, the sellers had done a really good job of cleaning out the house because there was nothing whatsoever in the house she could use as a tool to get into the room. She also tried on her own, but failed to jimmy the latch with a credit card, and then called me for help. She figured I would probably know the quickest was to get the door open, and it turns out she was right!

Interestingly, when I asked her how the officer opened the door, she said he used his folding knife, which looked exactly like the folding knife that I carry. I think that made a big impression on her as to why I always carry a knife, and why I'm trying to get her to do the same.