Originally Posted By: MDinana
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL

If a child gets locked in it is best to calm them down, reassure them everything is okay and that they are not in trouble, get them to wipe their hands so they aren't sweaty from panic, then get them to try to turn the handle with both hands. Most privacy locks disengage if the lock-side handle is turned.

And, apparently, your wife. Who somehow managed to dump the responsibility of calling a locksmith onto you, even though she was the one at home with your child at the time.

I disagree - that is a healthy division of labor. The one at home can devote 100% attention to calming the child, the one away can deal with whatever needs to be done on the phone.

When things get ugly and you can't think straight it is very good advice to call for help. Ever tried thinking when your kid is wailing in panic? (Not pain, not discomfort or "I need attention", but sheer terror and panic?) Not easy, I can tell you that. A calm, reassuring voice of reason on the phone is really good help in getting a grip and finding the right solution.

I had my wife on the phone in exactly the same situation. We were also new to the town and the apartment, didn't know any neighbors or anything. Luckily I had to fix some similar lock just days ago, so I knew exactly how to take it apart and I knew exactly where I put the tools. I could give her pretty detailed instructions (flat screwdriver THERE, have a go at those two screws there, now just put whatever into that key slot and twist). Problem solved in less than 2 minutes.