Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
[quote=TeacherRO] While the power of a xenon strobe is an advantage the fragile flash tube, battery life, and overall unit bulk and weight make such a unit a burden.

At this point I will display once again my dinosaur like devotion to the good old zenon strobe. Mine go back to when computers ran on punch cards. I found them neither fragile, or heavy, and the battery in my oldest is still working, and it is at least ten years old (hasn't been deployed much lately, though). My newer ones rode in my PFD for years in a salt water environment and were problem free.

I like them because they did their job, every time, and they were always handy.

I use bike blinkies a lot (I am a regular bike commuter), but I don't think they are comparable to a powerful strobe, nor do I think they would attract attention as much as a strobe, or, for that matter, a good campfire. I regularly run at least two blinkies so that motorists won't ride up my back.

As always, you pick your gear and equipment judiciously for the task at hand, balancing weight and bulk against the possibility of use (big FAK vs. two bandaids; shoelaces vs 60M climbing rope). There are plenty of options out there.