Originally Posted By: James_Van_Artsdalen

Why Skype? Sending out SMS messages via email is far simpler on the infrastructure, works in low bandwidth scenarios and is store & forward: Skype probably has some unknown bandwidth floor requirement the radio operator has to meet (and I think some HAM schemes are quite slow, 9600 bps nominal or less).

Skype was just an example, as far as SMS, it's good, but I have better options (including, just like the LAFD and the OEM of NYC, Twitter!).

I've used Skype at 28.8Kb/Sec - with Voice - the results are fine. I like Skype because it has insanely efficient codecs and unlike 97% of the other voice/text chat tools I've used (and I've used them ALL) Skype JFW on any hardware/software combination and any NAT/Firewall combination I've ever encountered. I can use Skype to reach the PSTN as needed and vice versa.

After even more study today, I find myself, sadly, finding that the Ham radio guys - who were once innovators of things like APRS, Packet Radio, and even that ancient precursor to cell phone networks, Repeater systems - have become ensnared in a knotty mass of habit and rules, leaving them in the same basic category of people I know who are absolutely expert with all things muzzle-loading, but look with disdain on a Beretta CX4 Storm. It's great to know all about voice based systems, and I like voice comms - sometimes - but data comms are even more critical today. The commercial options are cheaper, faster and as good or better than the options I have with the ham radio.