my .o2 cents

One of the things that I see is the mismanagement of trees in town. Apparently trees are a nuisance, and need to be topped to not interfere with electrical lines. For the past two years the city keeps coming out and "trimming" back the same silver maple in my front yard. By "trimming" I mean cutting out a neat square corner out of the top 1/2 of the tree. Apparently it is too much effort to prune it back. All over my hometown there are "topped" trees courtesy of the city. At the house I grew up in, there was a silver maple that was easily over 150 years old that fell victim to "progress" and was turned into sawdust. The city decided that the tree was in the way of the telephone post. I can keep going but I digress. I find it appalling that trees are regarded this way, especially when a little more effort will yield a healthy tree.

*climbs down off the soapbox*

I feel restored by nature. Removing myself from civilization, restores my humanity. I can get perspective on my place in the order of things. Out in the wild, I feel more at ease, and can meet challenges on equal footing, not just temerity. I understand the how and why of the little dramas that unfold, and I enjoy being able to relax the guards or screens necessary to deal with seething masses of humanity, and allow a more natural mindset to emerge. I enjoy the solace of a solo journey, or the shared camaraderie of those close to me.
I have an extra.