Originally Posted By: Susan

Do you mean that we can't call stupid, stupid? Why?

Unless you actually qualify for the revenge of Blasts Cat of Punishment there is no clear cut "you can't". A more interesting discussion is the grey areas of please don't.

I for one love the discussion about why things go wrong and how things could and should be done different. A lot of those discussion starts with real life events - and some indisputable incredible stupid acts. But I am not comfortable with name calling and personal characterization. We don't know all the facts! Media will get the details wrong. We can use whatever info available to conclude that doing XYZ is stupid, but I won't be a part of bashing and name-calling possible dead or injuried persons based on media reports alone.

It is a huge leap from "running with headphones is stupid" to remove-from-genepool-statements.

Such a practice can't be the responsibility of the moderator. It is the collective efforts of the forum members that decides the code of conduct - "soft rules" - of how things shall be and what is proper behaviour. If the majority wants to do bashing and name calling - ... then that is the code of conduct. My post here is what I can do to nudge this forum in the oposite direction.

Edited by MostlyHarmless (03/29/10 03:30 PM)