Concerning Waterproof/Windproof Safety Matches.

I started out using Coughlins Waterproof/Windproof Safety Matches, they were kind of short but all I could find locally. Then even that type got scarce so I constructed the kits using Coughlins small waterproof matches (as seen in the field test pictures).

Since then I found UCO Long (2.75") Waterproof/Windproof Safety Matches at the Toronto Mountain Equipment Coop store (they are not on the website, probably due to shipping concerns). These seem like terrific matches and state that they will even burn underwater? I paid around $4.00 for 2 boxes of 25 each. Even the packaging is good with plastic wrapping on the inside of the boxes and extra plastic wrapped striker strips included. These matches can be seen here on the UCO website. I have not done much testing of these matches other that putting them in glass of water for a few minutes, they then had no problem lighting up on the first strike.

I agree that waterproofed strike-anywhere matches are better for use in the field, but I sometimes travel by small aircraft where strike anywhere matches are prohibited.

Mike