"Apparently she was running alone, listing to her IPod..."
Then she was probably more likely to be a victim of an attack by a species of large ape, or running in front of a truck.

Originally Posted By: scafool
I am sorry to hear of anybody getting attacked by dogs or by wolves.

I'm willing to bet that the number of people killed by pet dogs is 1000x higher than that by wolves/coyotes/etc

Quote:
I am thinking a big part of the problem is the coyotes, wolves, puma and bears have been getting a lot more used to people.

We are moving into their territory, so there are a lot more contacts.

Quote:
I know that some people do things like leave food that animals can get into (garbage?)

I live in one of the most beautiful parts of the country, the cost of that (apart from eye-water real estate prices) is that I have to keep trash locked up until the truck arrives and double bag any meat. I can't leave the windows open when I go out - and not because of crime.

Quote:
and even feed them by hand in some cases.

Hence the quote above about them being smarter than us!
Heard a line from a park's dept guy once - they were trying new bear-proof trash cans. They have to hard for the bears to open, but simple enough that campers will use them.
Problem is, he said - there is significant overlap between the smartest bears and dumbest visitors.

Quote:
I do think the lack of hunting contributes but I can't say how much.

Not sure, enough animals would have to have seen a kill to associate humans with danger.

Quote:
but as an old fellow pointed out if a pack of wolves dragged somebody down out in the bush they likely wouldn't leave enough scraps to find.

Good point - there has never been a documented case of a wolf kill = the wolves ate all the witnesses!

Edited by NobodySpecial (03/14/10 03:38 PM)