Originally Posted By: Mark_Frantom
I would really be interested in anything that would help a diabetic. No insulin = bad news for me. The stuff doesn't store forever and it is rather impractical to store large quantities anyway. An herbal remedy that would make a modest supply stretch a bit further would be of particular interest to me. Thanks everyone. Keep the ideas coming.

Some diabetics can maintain their blood sugar through diet and exercise. Given a lack of other options a brutal exercise regimen and near starvation diet has saved some. Of course insulin is the only option for some. I know of no replacement, or even partial substitute, for insulin. Herbal or otherwise.

But the situation isn't without hope with some preparation, planning, and luck.

Quote:

From: http://www.isletsofhope.com/diabetes/care/tips_insulin_chart_1.html

When properly refrigerated (do not freeze) insulin will keep until expiration date on package. If ever frozen, discard the insulin.
Insulin expiration dates are usually 1-2 years form date of purchase.

They say one to two years from date of purchase but I suspect it is from the date of manufacture. Either way it seems to me that if you can get it fresh, within say 6 months of manufacture, to give you time to acquire the insulin, you would still have 18 months to work with.

The storage temperature range isn't too bad: Refrigerated. 36-46ºF. Even the refrigerated temperature is within what could be maintained with a simple absorption unit that runs on kerosene/propane/electricity. So called "ice balls", simple closed cycle absorption units renown for their longevity and toughness, are favorites for storing insulin and vaccines in the tropics. Something to look into.

At room temperature: 59-86ºF, your looking at 28 days. One recommendation for maintaining that range in warmer temperatures is a simple expedient of evaporative cooling using a earthenware container filled with water.