Originally Posted By: rumbaugh

"If computer model trends continue as they have in the past 24 hours, this storm has potential to eclipse December 19, 2009 ; February 15-18, 2003 ; January 6-8, 1996 ; March 11, 1993 ; February 11, 1983 ; December 1966, and could rival March 18-22, 1958."

I have been caught in all but one of the storms listed.

1958: We lost electricity for 5 days, we melted snow and cooked in our 1850's fireplace. National Guard flew supplies to our towm by helo.

1966: Christmas eve. The snow drifted over 6' high. We spent hours digging out, by hand, to go to Christmas mass, left the car in the middle of road while in church, virtually the only people there. Next morning we had to dig out all over again because of the drifting snow so my dad could go to work. We have pictures of my father-in-law clearing the drifts on his D4 Cat bulldozer.

1983: Was in LA when the storm hit, took me two days to get home. Schools were closed for 4 days.

1993: Was living in Paris and missed this one. Oh la la la (The French actually do say this!)

2003: My wife got the 5:00am call that school was cancelled (duh). She was on sabbatical that year...

The rest were inconvenient with no real problems. The most trouble I had was digging a path for the dog to get to his favorite tree. (20" snow vs 10" of dog)

But just in case this year I got a 5000watt generator.

Interestingly, almost all these storms hit on the weekend. Since 1900 77% of the major snow storms in the mid-Atlantic have occurred on the weekend.

And, yes, I am old.

Stay safe and warm.

Edited by Andy (02/05/10 06:53 PM)
Edit Reason: added text