Originally Posted By: Blast
The scientific community has not formally studied this issue, but after looking at the assorted data that has been done I personally would not take an elderberry extract if I thought I might have swine flu

I looked into the cytokine storm angle with H1N1, too, but there's little to go on since it's a brand new strain. There are two main questions actually that you have to ask yourself--does H1N1 kill most people through a cytokine storm, and does elderberry trigger or exacerbate a cytokine storm in people with H1N1? You'll read opinions and theories on both sides. Some say that elderberry actually has a immuno-modulatory effect. While immune boosting in general, if your immune system does go into overdrive and towards a cytokine storm, it'll help rein it in.

There are also lot's of different reports about how H1N1 kills. Some reports say primary viral pneumonias, some are secondary bacterial pneumonias, cytokine storm, etc. It's kind of all over the map. If it doesn't usually kill through cytokine storm, then worrying about triggering one isn't so relevant.

But, the doubt about it was actually why I was trying the ascorbic acid before elderberry. But the ascorbic acid seemed to work well for me so I never got to the point of trying the elderberry. I don't really see any risk of trying elderberry with the regular run of the mill influenza, though.