Good thread, Mark! Two of my favorite herbal remedy books are
Stalking the Healthful Herb by Euell Gibbons and The New Age Herbalist by Mabey, McIntyre, Michael, Duff, and Stevens.

Gibbons' book is very useful once you can recognize the plants as it's focus is more on what to do with it once you find them. It covers a large number of plants and how to use them as medicines, but it is done with a sceptical eye. He say something might have a particular effect but that it did or did not work for him when used in the traditional manner. He doesn't let superstition over-rule experimentation.

Don't let the title "New Age" in the second book throw you off. This other book isn't crystal power and pyramids! Like Gibbons' book, it to stickes (mostly) to confirmed treatments. It also has the best pictures ever of any plant guide. I was leery at first when I bought it but it has become one of my favorite books.

The next big update to my plant blog will be medicinal uses, but that will take a while to complete. I will add assorted plants to this thread though.

Plants that remove the sting/itch of insect bites:
1. Plantain
2. Curled Dock
3. Wild Lettuce
4. Horsetails
Make a mash/poultice of any of these leaves (older wild lettuce leaves work better than young ones) and smear it on the bite. The astringent chemicals in the plant will neutralize the bite.

-Blast

Edited by Blast (01/26/10 04:15 PM)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.