Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL

First, not everyone, possibly not even a majority of people even in the US, can necessarily afford to set aside the price of a months supplies for the family.

A majority? Really? Am I the only one who finds this ludicrous?

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL

In my opinion, based on what I see in various reports, the distribution of supplies is being hampered by a desire to control the situation too much. They are handing out rations very slowly to thin lines of people when they should, IMHO, be taking their clue from feeding chickens instead of running a soup kitchen. We should be shoveling individual foil wrapped water packets and lifeboat biscuits out of the back of helicopters and trucks with feed scoops. The actual form of the relief is not important as long as they come in durable packages and a small number of servings. Single-serving size would be ideal.

Find people and spread supplies while moving. No stopping. No demand for anyone to line up. Wash, rinse, repeat until nearly everyone has received something. If the vast majority of people can get a little to eat and enough moisture in them so they aren't in danger of falling down your going to calm everything down considerably.

Take the edge off and then set up the more organized systems with lines and controls.

Easier said than done. Mobilizing huge support takes time, took time after Katrina, taking time now. Only now no one is criticizing the administration like they did back then.

If you want to speed things up, let the military handle it. They can deal with fixing supply lines, airport runways, infrastructure, etc., much quicker than anyone else. That was demonstrated after the Boxing Day tsunami.