Pretty harsh, John, especially to those of us on the forum who are following the story, talking our way through the info being presented by the media, and simply trying to make some sense out of the madness. Speaking of madness, I had CNN on last night and saw a clip about looters taking candles from a store, and the tail end of another where a boy had been hurt badly in the head, bleeding and all and noone but the reporter would help. Didn't catch why or how the boy was hurt though. Also a clarification of the roadblocks mentioned earlier in the thread. It appears the roadblocks are being set up by storeowners to prevent looters from ransacking their stores before the store owners can get their stuff out.
I am trying to keep in mind, and all of us should, that the media people are finding the stories that present the best and worst of mankind, the most sensationalized things they can find to get ratings, as they do in any situation. Many are the stories in the media about our area of Kentucky that depict us as uneducated toothless drug addicts without a pot to p--- in. They never show you the people with college educations (myself included) who live in neighborhoods of modern homes (running water and flushing toilets and everything, sorry sue). That's not what sells advertising, and not what draws Americans to the television to see people worse off than they are so they can feel better about themselves.
Sorry, off my soap box now. Point is anything in the media has to be taken with a grain (or shaker) of salt. Anything we see is only a tiny fraction of a much larger whole. Certainly with regards to Haiti we are only seeing a small part of the whole story that is unfolding.