Originally Posted By: James_Van_Artsdalen
Had the Belgians had even false reports of a mob or other threat that mitigate their behavior, but apparently that's not the case.

This is what Sanjay was reporting as the Belgians were preparing to pull out for the night:

Quote:
"There is concern about riots not far from here -- and this is part of the problem," CNN's Chief Medical Correspondent Sanjay Gupta said. "They (doctors) want to take care of lots of patients that are actually in the tents and many more that are actually outside, but they are simply being told at this point to stop and try to get to some sort of secure location."

Sanjay and this field hospital were in a particularly impoverished part of the city (I forget the name of the place) so I'm not surprised that there was already some trouble in that area.

I was even reading on an Israeli news site that the Israelis also suspended operations at night early on (it's not clear if the article was talking about the field hospital or their SAR teams but I thought it was referring to their medical operations) so the Belgians are not the only ones being cautious.