"For a couple of years following the event, there was substantial retrofitting of these structures."

I am not doubting the facts, but I do tend to doubt the conclusions. The original overpasses were made from steel and concrete -- what did they add to improve them? How many of the contractors who did the work would be willing to stand under them in a decent quake? What's the immediate plan if all the overpasses remain standing and the roads under them shift 18" up or down in many places?

In Seattle, they 'retrofitted' the Alaskan Way Viaduct. Everyone (probably including the companies that did the retrofitting) are pretty sure that in a good quake, it's going to be the first thing to fall.

Earthquakes have incredible power. Modern Man has come up with a bunch of ideas that may or may not work. When I point out all the skyscrapers that appear to consist mainly of windows, I am assured that they have all been designed to withstand earthquakes. But please explain to me how a sheet of glass 10'x10', twisted diagonally twelve inches, won't break.

In Japan, I read that steel and concrete buildings broke apart. Do you know what flexed and stayed upright? The bamboo scaffolding they were using to build the buildings.

But I will bet that if/when a major quake hits San Diego, LA, Sacramento, San Jose, Portland or Seattle, most of those buildings will twist, and the death toll may well surpass Haiti's.

"Complacency Kills" - how's that for a bumper sticker?

Sue